PHS Community Services Society (PHS) is a non-profit society that manages buildings that provide social housing and support, focusing on people with chronic substance abuse issues or concurrent disorders, primarily in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside and Victoria. Additionally the Society provides innovative healthcare services co-managed with Vancouver Coastal Health along with drug replacement therapy designed to respond to the Canadian drug poisoning crisis.
- Community Subsector (CBA) Collective Agreement
- March 28, 2020: COVID Update to 1004 PHS Members
- March 24, 2020: COVID Update to 1004 PHS Members
- April 24, 2020: The Municipal Pension Plan (MPP) has created an FAQ about COVID-19 and your pension, including how leaves and layoffs are treated
- September 13, 2021: COVID Update – CUPE Mandatory Vaccination Discussion Guide
Refer to the language in the collective agreement for a comprehensive list of employee benefits.
PHS members wishing to improve their physical mental and emotional fitness by joining the Frontline Fight Club with free sessions at the Eastside Boxing Club, Wednesdays at 8:30 AM and Friday at 9 AM.
There is a Social Health Fund that budgets $300 micro-grants for one staff organized event in each city to promote wellness and community building. Fund applications can be sent to email@example.com
The Wellness Fund grants of up to $5000 can be accessed by all members for substance use disorder treatment, gender expenses and support, and disability supplies and services supplemental to the Extended Health Plan. This program can be accessed through WellnessFund@phs.ca
Family Services & Employee Assistance Program (FSEAP)
As of June 1, 2022 the FSEAP is available to all employees of PHS Community Services Society. It is also available to immediate family members including a cohabiting partner or spouse, and dependent children (up to 18 years of age or 19-24 if in full-time school).
FSEAP services include:
- 24/7/365 Immediate Telephone Counselling Support for urgent situations
- Personal Short-Term Counselling (9 sessions per case, resetting every June 1st)
- Legal Consultation (30 minute free phone consultation with a lawyer for personal legal issues; discounts on further services)
- Financial Coaching and Credit Counselling
- Nutritional Counselling
- Life Coaching & Career Counselling
- Smoking Cessation Support
- Assistance in finding Child and Eldercare Resources
- Family Resource Kits: Nurturing your Newborn Baby, Your Growing Toddler, Parenting your Preschooler, Parenting your School Age Child, Parenting your Pre-Teens, Parenting Youth, Senior Caregiver Support, and Healthy Intimate Relationships.
For more information or to access services call: 1.800.667.0993
Online Health and Wellness Resources Centre: www.fseap.ca
Username: PHS Community Services Society
Password: 2bwell (case sensitive)
PHS members are now a part of the Municipal Pension Plan (MPP).
Contact the Local 1004 office for a list of PHS stewards.
Occupational Health & Safety
Know your rights! Training is key. Workers Compensation Act & Regulations must be followed. Members sit on the Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Committee to monitor and discuss health & safety related issues or concerns in the workplace.
Get to Know the PHS
CUPE 1004 workers share their stories about work at PHS
VANCOUVER—CUPE 1004 members who work for the Portland Hotel Society have produced a short video talking about the work they do and why the vision and approach of the PHS has been so successful.
The video was produced following the announcement that PHS will be under the direction of a new board and senior management.
“CUPE members are passionate about maintaining the flexible services and the innovative model that has been developed at PHS and we wanted to share a few stories about what we do and why it matters,” said Andrew Ledger, CUPE 1004 representative.
CUPE 1004 is a multi-sector composite union local that includes workers at the Portland Hotel Society (PHS) Community Services Society, the City of Vancouver, the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, the PNE, and a variety of other civic and non-profit organizations.